Old August 14th 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walk-through trains

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:05:58AM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
And why can't these Londoners use the superb public transport in place
across the city, for an even bigger benefit?

We do, except that not all our journeys are in London or to places with
convenient public transport. Something like half the cars parked on my
road seem to be used only at weekends.

So Bruce's comments on provision of workplace recharging are irrelevant,

What about the other half that *are* used during the week. I presume
that quite a few of them are used to travel to/from work.

but the "one-shot" range is highly relevant.

Indeed. Cars are competitive with trains in terms of journey time for
short journeys of up to roughly 70 miles outside major cities. So at
minimum an electric car needs to be able to go 140 miles (for a return
journey), plus, say, another 20 miles just for a safe margin, at
current speeds without recharging. Otherwise people won't buy them.

Yes yes, I know, a train can cover 70 miles a lot faster than a car can.
But the car goes door to door so there's time taken to get to/from
stations at either end, and there's no waiting for the train either.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

[OS X] appeals to me as a monk, a user, a compiler-of-apps, a
sometime coder, and an easily amused primate with a penchant
for those that are pretty, colorful, and make nice noises.
-- Dan Birchall, in The Monastery