Old August 14th 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
TimB TimB is offline

Default Walk-through trains

On Aug 14, 8:59 pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:
TimB wrote:
On Aug 14, 7:49 pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:57:14 on Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Sam Wilson remarked:
A recent report says that it is worth spending up to £10,000 to turn
just one person into a regular cyclist.
A few years ago they spent about that much per cyclist [1] putting a
brand new shared cycle/foot path alongside one of the roads from
Cambridge to an adjoining village. Obviously, all the serious cyclists
refuse to use such a thing.
Depending on how it was constructed, that might be very understandable..
I'm not suggesting the costs were out of proportion to the civil
engineering involved, but it seemed a huge investment to encourage a
handful of cyclists - who despise that sort of facility in the first place.
Was it installed in the last week of the financial year? Or does a
bigwig with a bike perhaps live there?

(which village, BTW?)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

More likely to do with being seen to do something about providing a
safe route for kids to cycle to school (with coincidental benefit of
being able to cut back on school buses) and spending a budget
allocated for that purpose. Yes, probably done in a rush at the end of
the financial year.
So confident adult cyclists naturally choose not to use it, while
white man van thinks he can honk and intimidate and tell them to get
onto the bloody cycle track, my taxes paid for that and you beggers
don't bother using it....

Indeed.

Though round here I find "professional" drivers - including white van
men - to be a lot more willing to give space to other road users than
some other drivers are. My pulled-out-of-the-air theory is that white
van man probably has a bike himself, and even he doesn't use it he
almost certainly used one in the past. But the woman who applies her
make-up and makes a phone call while driving at speed towards the narrow
gap probably hasn't cycled much herself.

(none of this applies on the days when we all head to Aylesbury to
sacrifice babies to Beelzebub, of course)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Aylesbury? Is Tony Polson involved?