Old August 18th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Walk-through trains

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 18 Aug, 16:31, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:11:46 -0700 (PDT)

Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 11, 4:28pm, wrote:
I dunno , I reckon the height would be pretty close if you measure
from rail level. And I suspect the width is pretty much the same.

No way - or rather, I have to disagree with you on that one - I know
bendies well, and there's *much* more space in the articulated bit
of a bendy than there is in a tube carriage.

Hmm , well given the max width of a road vehicle is 2.5 metres and
tube trains are 2.6 metres wide ...

There may be more room on the inside of a bus because its not built
so strong but external dimensions are another matter.

OK, the width of the articulated bit of a bendy bus is less than the
width of a tube carriage - but we're talking more about the potential
dimensions of the articulated bit of some hypothetical future tube
train design. I'm not objecting to the basic concept, merely agreeing
with others that it might be a bit of a tight fit - specifically I'm
thinking about people bashing their heads on the low ceiling of an
articulated connection. Unless you're very tall, that's simply not an
issue w.r.t. the articulated section of a bendy bus.

There was of course the "space train" concept for new Victoria line
stock a while back that had walk-through carriage connections. It
looked exciting, but evidently it wasn't pursued.

I seem to recall that the space train was articulated and had a low
floor (thanks to small wheels), which makes open gangways less of a
challenge in a tube train.