Old December 26th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default reducing congestion

JNugent wrote:
Cast_Iron wrote in message

Ian Smith wrote:

... Tax all income at the same base
%, rich or poor; and abolish all other forms of taxation,
which are nothing more than a tax on already-taxed income.

Yup, I'd go for that. I'm sure most pensioners and other
non income tax payers would welcome it.

Why?

Their income - whatever it happened to be - would fall into
the category "all income". As well as dividends and
interest receipts, that would include pensions, child
benefit, jobseeker's allowance, supplementary benefit, etc,
etc (indeed, it would have to if *all* other taxes were
abolished).

Don't forget it's an income tax, not an earnings tax.

Not quite true, some income is exmpt from tax, but like all things that can
be changed.