Old September 2nd 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Shepherds Bush overground

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:19:53 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

Why is there no in-station interchange (perhaps via a gateline, like at
Richmond) using a tunnel at Shepherds Bush between the Overground and
the Central line? Cost, I suppose, but it would be a very short tunnel,
and I can't imagine that there's lots of buried infrastructure there.

Second, why no roof over the platforms? Both platforms are pretty much
entirely exposed to the elements, so when it's raining people wait on
the stairs. This means that certain carriages get far more heavily
loaded than others (because people aren't waiting to board all the way
along the platform) and the crowd is even more in the way of passengers
wanting to get off than is usual. What's the reason for having no roof?

The answer to both questions is that the station was paid for by the
developer of the adjacent Westfield shopping mall.

No developer wants to spend more than the absolute minimum on items
that do not generate rental income, hence the cheap station. Perhaps
more money will be spent in future as the station appears to be
getting significantly more use than expected.