Old September 3rd 09, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Shepherds Bush overground

David Cantrell wrote on 02 September 2009
12:19:53 ...
Why is there no in-station interchange (perhaps via a gateline, like at
Richmond) using a tunnel at Shepherds Bush between the Overground and
the Central line? Cost, I suppose, but it would be a very short tunnel,
and I can't imagine that there's lots of buried infrastructure there.

.... apart from the Overground tracks which you'd have to run the tunnel
underneath in order to serve the southbound Overground platform. Then
where does the tunnel end up in the Central Line station? Half way down
the escalators? Unless you invest in extra escalators/lifts, it
wouldn't be very convenient. It doesn't look very cost-effective to me.

Second, why no roof over the platforms? Both platforms are pretty much
entirely exposed to the elements, so when it's raining people wait on
the stairs.

I entirely agree with you there. To have a brand new "country halt"
type of station in the middle of London is absurd.

This means that certain carriages get far more heavily
loaded than others (because people aren't waiting to board all the way
along the platform) and the crowd is even more in the way of passengers
wanting to get off than is usual.

At least the new trains have wide gangways, so the crowds in the crowded
carriage will be able to disperse along the train.

What's the reason for having no roof?

Poor negotiation by someone when agreeing with Westfield what
constitutes an acceptable 21st century station. (Not sure if at the
time it was TfL or Network Rail or Hammersmith & Fulham council.)

--
Richard J.