Old September 3rd 09, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
1506 1506 is offline

Default Shepherds Bush overground

On Sep 2, 4:19*am, David Cantrell wrote:
Why is there no in-station interchange (perhaps via a gateline, like at
Richmond) using a tunnel at Shepherds Bush between the Overground and
the Central line? *Cost, I suppose, but it would be a very short tunnel,
and I can't imagine that there's lots of buried infrastructure there.

Second, why no roof over the platforms? *Both platforms are pretty much
entirely exposed to the elements, so when it's raining people wait on
the stairs. *This means that certain carriages get far more heavily
loaded than others (because people aren't waiting to board all the way
along the platform) and the crowd is even more in the way of passengers
wanting to get off than is usual. *What's the reason for having no roof?

Wow, I am amazed that NR and TfL chintzed out on this one. I realize
that it was paid for by the developers of the adjacent retail
development. But, this is potentially a very useful interchange.

Many years back I lived in Shepherds Bush. IMHO West London is poorly
served by several good rail lines. The problem is wasted interchange
opportunities. And, where lines do have interchanges they are too
often inconvenient.

West Ruislip would be a case in point. To change from the Central
subway line to, what is now, Chiltern always involves using stairs.
This is due to the pitiful layout of the station.