Old September 5th 09, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default Shepherds Bush overground

On 4 Sep, 23:55, "David A Stocks" wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:19 am, David Cantrell wrote: Why is there no in-station interchange (perhaps via a gateline, like at
Richmond) using a tunnel at Shepherds Bush between the Overground and
the Central line? Cost, I suppose, but it would be a very short tunnel,
and I can't imagine that there's lots of buried infrastructure there.

But the interchange works very well as it is - far better than most NR to
underground interchanges, especially those at the London NR termini. I can't
imagine Westfield sponsoring a tunnel whose only benefits are that you could
avoid getting wet when it's raining, and can avoid the entrance to their
shopping centre altogether.

It's better than a lot of LU to LU interchanges as well. The use of
the distance indicator on the map is presumably because it involves
going across a street, but it's still easier than say, Charing Cross,
Waterloo (Jubilee to others), Bank, Euston, Kings Cross (tube to Met)
or Green Park.

Second, why no roof over the platforms? Both platforms are pretty much
entirely exposed to the elements, so when it's raining people wait on
the stairs.

I agree that the station is taking minimalism rather too far, but it's on a
very cramped site.

D A Stocks