Old September 5th 09, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Batman55 Batman55 is offline

Default Brompton Road to re-open?

"Richard J." wrote in message
om...
wrote on 04 September 2009 19:09:47 ...
news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places.../8236894.stm

www.bromptonroad.org.uk

P. O. Box 63718, London, SW3 9AT

You've now given us an invalid BBC website reference 3 times. What you
haven't said is why on earth you think that Brompton Road might re-open.
To get LU interested, you would have to demonstrate that there would be a
net benefit in journey times, setting the advantages for Brompton Road
residents and visitors against the delay of a minute or so for ALL
existing Piccadilly Line passengers. Have you done this?

--
Richard J.

Whilst I agree that reopening Brompton Road is unlikely after 70 years, you
seem overly dismissive of the idea. First, stations on the central section
of the Piccadilly are close together, most notably of course, Covent Garden
and Leicester Sq (0.16 miles - maybe CG should be closed?) whereas the gap
between Knightsbridge and South Ken is 0.77 miles, the longest station gap
anywhere between Manor House and Earls Court (apart from Cal Road to Kings X
where of course there is another "missing" station) so an intermediate stop
is not an unreasonable aspiration. Apart from providing easier access to the
Vic & Albert, it could also relieve both Knightsbridge and South Ken
stations which get very crowded particularly during holidays and sale times.
I don't know what local demand there is, nor how many people travel over the
central section, as compared with those from the north alighting say, at
Kings X, or from the west at or by South Ken. Either way, it won't affect
ALL Picc line passengers.

Give the bloke a chance!

MaxB