Old September 5th 09, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sir Benjamin Nunn Sir Benjamin Nunn is offline

Default Brompton Road to re-open?

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

You cite Covent Garden - well it is very heavily used but it is at the
point where such huge sums need to be spent on it to make it cope
adequately and safely that a valid scenario could well be closure. At
some points the lifts will require replacement and that will cost an
awful lot of money and I would doubt the station could safely work with
2 out of 4 lifts in operation. Therefore it would shut during the work
but a perfectly rational option would be to shut permanently, speed up
journeys and divert the passengers elsewhere. There are only two big
arguments against this - Leicester Square is not overflowing with spare
capacity so almost certainly could not cope with diverted traffic (nor
could Holborn) and the stakeholder / political fall out would be huge.

How feasible would it be to simply construct a walkway/escalator from the
Eastern end of the Picadilly platforms at Leicester square to the surface
building at Covent Garden, then closing the existing Covent Garden
platforms?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything obvious in the way, and if
tourists took the 'exit to Covent Garden' from platform they wouldn't get
lost trying to find it from Leicester Square station at street level.

BTN