Old September 5th 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sir Benjamin Nunn Sir Benjamin Nunn is offline

Default Brompton Road to re-open?

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

How feasible would it be to simply construct a walkway/escalator from the
Eastern end of the Picadilly platforms at Leicester square to the surface
building at Covent Garden, then closing the existing Covent Garden
platforms?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything obvious in the way, and
if
tourists took the 'exit to Covent Garden' from platform they wouldn't get
lost trying to find it from Leicester Square station at street level.

I really have no idea how far the building basements / foundations go
down in that area. My other main observation would be that Leicester
Square's platforms are horribly narrow and below capacity. At peak times
(i.e. evenings and late) you barely move due to lack of space for people
waiting *and* those alighting from trains. The stairs and corridors also
jam up very badly - it's not unknown to have to wait on the stairs to
let trains go to be able to reach the platforms. Shoving another 16m pax
p.a. into that would not helpful. Leicester Square badly needs
reconstruction but that's another scheme shoved off into the ether due
to no money for big station schemes. If you were to add in Covent
Garden's flows you need a much bigger scheme.

It could potentially alleviate both flows, if there was a substantial (e.g.
JLex-scale) open area immediately off the eastern end of the Picc platforms
that widened out as it sloped surfacewards, then maybe a bank of four
escalators plus a modern accessibilty lift.

All this shows is that there are rarely simple answers to the Tube's
capacity problems.

The biggest single problem is the lack of lines.

There is way too much unnecessary bureaucracy overhead during the planning
and consulation phases to try and ensure an optimal route, when the reality
is that any half-decent route will be well-patronised to the point of
near-overcrowding, and will relieve pressure on existing routes, so better
to just build the ****ers rather than waste decades discussing them.

Anybody with half a brain could come up with new line ideas just by looking
at a map.

Example:

Albert Line:

Arnos Grove
Alexandra Palace
Hornsey Central
Archway
Gospel Oak
Belsize Park
St. Johns Wood
Edgware Road
Lancaster Gate
Royal Albert Hall
South Kensington
Albert Bridge
Battersea
Clapham Junction
Wandsworth Common
Tooting Broadway
Tooting Junction
Mitcham

And if they just started building this, rather than wasting time and money
talking about things like it, it could be delivered sooner and more cheaply.
Probably.

BTN