Old September 6th 09, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
[email protected] jpgreen90@btinternet.com is offline

Default Shepherds Bush overground

On Sep 5, 12:30*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, wrote:
On Sep 4, 11:55*pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:19 am, David Cantrell wrote: Why is there no in-station interchange (perhaps via a gateline, like at
Richmond) using a tunnel at Shepherds Bush between the Overground and
the Central line? Cost, I suppose, but it would be a very short tunnel,
and I can't imagine that there's lots of buried infrastructure there.

But the interchange works very well as it is - far better than most NR to
underground interchanges, especially those at the London NR termini. I can't
imagine Westfield sponsoring a tunnel whose only benefits are that you could
avoid getting wet when it's raining, and can avoid the entrance to their
shopping centre altogether.

Second, why no roof over the platforms? Both platforms are pretty much
entirely exposed to the elements, so when it's raining people wait on
the stairs.

I agree that the station is taking minimalism rather too far, but it's on a
very cramped site.

I don't see that a cramped site has any bearing on providing a roof over
a platform. It's the ridiculous cost that Network Rail seems to incur
with any of their projects. I 'm too lazy to do the sums but simply put
if a roof cost ?100,000 and served 100,000 pax p.a. then cost is ?1 per
pax per annum. With life of 25years then cost is 25p per pax p.a.

4p per passenger per annum!

tom

--
Please! Undo clips before opening handle.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Just testing everyones maths!
JohnG