Old September 9th 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default EU lending for Crossrail

"DW downunder" reply@newsgroup wrote in message

I'm not sure of the logic of platform doors restricting rollingstock to
dedicated Xrail only; in which case one should be planning enough loading
gauge for well-type DD cars once the eastern and western arms are cleared
through.

The expansion plan is to extend from 10 - 12 cars, the stations are 250m
long for that reason. I'd expect fixed formation trains (rather than 5+5 as
previously stated), with a Thameslink layout, ie with through gangways. But
the Crossrail tunnels are AFAICS UK gauge, with the track offset to one side
so that a continuous walkway can be provided. I expect double deckers won't
be possible, and even if gauging allowed, the dwell times would defeat 24
tph running..

Paul S