Old September 9th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default EU lending for Crossrail

wrote in message ...
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:46:07 +0100
"Paul Scott" wrote:
"DW downunder" reply@newsgroup wrote in message

I'm not sure of the logic of platform doors restricting rollingstock to
dedicated Xrail only; in which case one should be planning enough
gauge for well-type DD cars once the eastern and western arms are
cleared
through.

The expansion plan is to extend from 10 - 12 cars, the stations are 250m
long for that reason. I'd expect fixed formation trains (rather than 5+5
as

250m long? That'll produce some interesting bunching of passengers down
one end. I doubt many people will spend 3 minutes walking down the length
of the platform.

Why should it? The central underground stations are double ended, (eg
Farringdon/Barbican, Moorgate/Liverpool St) with access to the platforms
via cross passages at about 1/4 and 3/4 along. I think they've thought of
that one...

Paul S