Old September 9th 09, 06:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default EU lending for Crossrail

Paul Scott wrote:
"DW downunder" reply@newsgroup wrote in message

I'm not sure of the logic of platform doors restricting rollingstock to
dedicated Xrail only; in which case one should be planning enough loading
gauge for well-type DD cars once the eastern and western arms are cleared
through.

The expansion plan is to extend from 10 - 12 cars, the stations are 250m
long for that reason. I'd expect fixed formation trains (rather than 5+5 as
previously stated), with a Thameslink layout, ie with through gangways. But
the Crossrail tunnels are AFAICS UK gauge,

In a moment of boredom I once phoned them and asked. They confirmed UK
single-deck sized tunnels, and told me the size in metres but not in
terms of UIC ABC123+-~ gauge or whatever. No provision for double
deckers, because of cost and not being able to send the trains somewhere
else and/or sell them second-hand afterwards.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK