Old September 9th 09, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Senior railcard discount - or not? - on Anytime travelcard

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Sep 9, 9:24*pm, wrote:

[snip]

The standard FCC ruse at Cambridge for those who want to return within
the evening peak is the buy an Off-Peak Day Return or Day Travelcard
from Ely which is cheaper than the anytime version. Cambridge are
happy to sell tickets from Ely, seeing as it's NXEA and not FCC
selling them.

Interesting - thanks for that, that's one to remember. For those not
clued up on these things (and I had to check!), FCC created the
concept of "zones A to E" so as to apply their off-peak evening
restrictions - Ely is in zone E whilst Cambridge is in zone D - and
yes, return journeys to zone E are exempt from the restrictions,
whilst zone D isn't.

It's not clear to me that FCC themselves would sell Ely tickets.

FCC's off-peak restrictions and 'zones' are all explained here, along
with a link to a map of the zones:
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=134

Yes, byzantine complexity, isn't it? It largely passes me by personally
because the greater peak restriction for me, most of the time, is that on
bicycles which is 16:00-19:00 and not evaded by having an Ely ticket.

A number of my fellow "gentlemen (and lady) commuters" on the 10:20 in the
mornings have Bromptons so do need the Ely ruse from time to time.
Fascinating group, we are, mostly academics but not by all means all. I
think the most glamorous (occupation-wise) is a diamond dealer. :-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel