Old September 10th 09, 11:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default London - Looks Like Fares Going Up

Paul Scott wrote:

The 'inflation + 1%', expected to be -0.4%, cannot cause a reduction in
individual PAYG fares anyway for the reasons discussed before, that single
fares aren't high enough and they only use whole 10p steps. So the best that
can be expected is a freeze.

In fact I expect most of the daily caps aren't high enough to go down
either, except perhaps the furthest extremities outside the basic 6 zones...

Paul S

Agreed, but it would be nice if someone looked at, say, last year's
increase and this years and made the resulting cumulative increase
approximate to (RPIlastyear+1)*(RPIthisyear+1).

However, I suspect what will happen is that the lot will go up 10p or
more. I've long speculated that we'll have at least a £1.40 single
Oyster PAYG bus fare by the time Boris has finished with us.

Still, it's one way of reducing the price differential with National
Rail PAYG, raise Tube prices to NR levels!

Tom