Old September 11th 09, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Fardell Tim Fardell is offline

Default Oyster - Activating Auto Top-Up

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 wrote:

On 9 Sep, 18:31, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:48:40 +0100, Tim Fardell

wrote:
Hello all!

I tried to activate my Auto Top-Up at Liverpool Street Station on
saturday, but for some reason it just didn't work.

The charge for the journey was deducted from my Oyster balance, but the
top-up I had requested on-line didn't get credited, and the auto top-up
didn't activate, and still shows as "Ready at Gate" on the Oyster web
site.

I spoke to Oyster customer services, and they couldn't understand it
either, and suggested I just try again.

Now for the question: I touched in at the Liverpool Street tube station. *
I'm now wondering if it's expecting me to touch in at one of the mainline
station card readers up on the main concourse?

The Web site just says "...ready to be activated at Liverpool Street
station. *Simply touch your Oyster card on any card reader at the station
(but not the ticket machines)."

Doesn't mention whether it means the underground station or the mainline
station.

Any suggestions?

I would be surprised if the main line gates were set up for auto top up
activation as they are not TfL gates - they are National Express gates
and not linked to the Prestige central system (at least as far as I am
aware).

I was going to suggest that because Liverpool Street is so big that
perhaps the same issue as Kings Cross applies with having to nominate a
gateline. However I think I'm wrong about that because Kings Cross LUL
has two National Location Codes which is what causes that particular
issue. Liverpool St just has one NLC but several computers (or did when
I was involved a long time ago!).

The only thing is whether there has been any sort of comms fault between
the Prestige Centre and Liverpool St Station or whether there are local
network issues that might mean the auto top up activation transaction
has not reached device level within the station.

Other than that I'm stumped too.
--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes it simply doesnt work
i have nominated a credit for overcharging at Picadilly circus an
despite the helpline assuring me that it should have bbe picked up on
the card it simply did not do so
I then insisted on a cheque which they kindly sent

HTH Phil

Thanks folks. Sounds like it was probably just a transient communications
error. I'll try again.