Old September 12th 09, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LU Closures Beyond a Joke

On 12 Sep, 14:03, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 12, 12:58 pm, MIG wrote:

I was thinking of heading for Whitechapel today (from south east).
This is pretty much impossible except by convoluted bus journeys
through traffic.

ELL closed (of course)
DLR suspended

Several portions thereof are suspended, but it's not a system wide
suspension (more on this in a mo).

Perhaps I should hae said "severed", and the other lines suspended on
the parts I needed to use.

District/Circle suspended

District suspended east of Tower Hill.

Hammersmith suspended

H&C suspended east of Liverpool Street - still running from the City
through to Hammersmith.

True, but I was thinking of the particular journey I was planning how
all routes in that direction seemed to be gone.

Plus other huge chunks elsewhere, like the whole Victoria, half the
Jubilee, most of the Metropolitan.

Wembley Park to Uxbridge and Northwood - which is a pretty crucial
chunk of the line.

I am just bewildered by it all. *Shouldn't we expect something a bit
better than this?

My basic take on the weekend closures is that it's for the greater
good - the improvements will come and we'll all benefit in the end,
'short-term pain long-term gain' type stuff. One might well say that's
a naive take on things, and it's always "pie tomorrow".

With regards to your journey, I think I might head to London Bridge
and then take the 40 bus on from there to Aldgate and then walk, or
maybe a bus up Bishopsgate to Liverpool Street station then walk, or
possibly just walk from London Bridge. Or take the DLR from Lewisham-
Mudchute, DLR replacement bus Mudchute-Westferry, then DLR again to
Shadwell (for the short walk to Whitechapel). Both rather less than
ideal, no doubt.

What I should have done, and did do on the way back, was

Get on the DLR to Mudchute.

Get the 135 to Aldgate Eastish.

Walk/bus along to Whitechapel Gallery area. Not too bad, but a
hostage to traffic and I didn't think of it till passing a 135 stop on
a replacement bus that was too crowded to get off of (people standing/
sitting on the stairs etc).

~ ~ ~

With regards to the DLR, I thought DLR suspensions were supposed to
appear on the illustrated Tube map on the service update pages along
with the Tube lines hehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html

I know London Overground suspensions don't appear, which is stupid
because they should, but I'm sure DLR closures used to appear here -
am I making this up?

One instead has to click on the DLR tab to get the full low down. The
lack of any graphical illustration as to what's going on doesn't help
matters given the extent of the suspensions - the list of closed
routes just serves to boggle my mind somewhat. For the record, this is
what the summary page has to say:

Source:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...r/default.html
---quote---
DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY: Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September,
suspended between London City Airport and Blackwall, between Beckton
and Blackwall, between Poplar and Mudchute and between Westferry and
Mudchute. Sunday, also suspended between Bow Church and Stratford.
Rail replacement bus services operate.
---/quote---

There is a link to "more information", which basically lists the
replacement buses operating, but I still find it hard to digest all
that test - I'd far rather just see it shown on a map.

~ ~ ~

One other thing - either replacement bus 'service three' is routed a
rather bizarre way around the Isle of Dogs, or rather more likely the
information is written in a rather confusing manner - the following is
taken from the "more information" page here http://tinyurl.com/
r6uupy:

---quote---
[...]
Service two: between Island Gardens and Beckton, calling at Mudchute,
Crossharbour, South Quay, Canary Wharf, Westferry, Blackwall, East
India, Canning Town, Royal Victoria, Custom House, Prince Regent,
Royal Albert, Beckton Park, Cyprus and Gallions Reach.

Service three (Saturday 0830-1930 Sunday 0930-1930): between Westferry
and Island Gardens, Canary Wharf, South Quay, Crossharbour and
Mudchute.
[...]
---/quote---

(I included 'service two' just to show that there was still a bus that
served Mudchute outside the times service three is running.)

Presumably 'service three' actually goes from Westferry to Canary
Whard, then South Quay, Crossharbour and Mudchute - but if you don't
read between the lines it looks as though it might go on a rather
crazy circular tour of the Isle of Dogs. This is the kind of badly
written stuff we get from the TOCs - I expect better of TfL. (Indeed I
hope for better from the TOCs too, but experience shows they're not
very good at conveying clear information about such things.)

Just to add to your confusion, the replacement bus I got on the way up
did none of those things. I think it may have been a service 2,
diverted due to overcrowding or something, but it went direct from
Crossharbour to Canary Wharf, so didn't do South Quay but came into
Canary Wharf from the east side.