Old December 28th 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Martin Rich Martin Rich is offline

Default London Underground travelcard?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:10:57 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

That pass seems to be about $43USD for a 4 day pass good for zones 1-6
all day. If I can't get that pass, what is available once I get to
London? I have heard my choice is only a 7 day pass which is not good
during the mornings. What is the current price for such a pass?

You have, I am afraid, heard complete rubbish. There are lots of
options available in London but a 7-day pass not valid in the morning
peak is not one of them: all 7 day cards are valid at any time of day.

There are no 4-day cards sold in London, but you could buy 4 separate
1-day cards for successive days. These are sold up to 4 days in
advance so you could buy all four cards at the same time when you
first arrive. On Monday-Friday you can buy either off-peak cards,
which you can't use in the morning before 0930, or peak cards which
you can use any time. You can also buy a thing called an LT card
which is valid at any time of day, but you can't use on national rail
services.

Assuming that your first day in London is 11 January, which is a
Sunday, you want to be about before 0930 each day, you need all 6
zones, but you don't need to use national rail services, then for four
days you could buy 3 LT cards for Monday-Wednesday = £24.60 and 1
1-day travelcard for Sunday at £5.40 - total cost £30 or about US$53 .

Are you sure that you need all 6 zones? Most of London's tourist
sights are in zones 1 and 2. If you only expect to make one journey
in a day before 0930 it may be better to buy a single fare for that,
then an off-peak travelcard for the rest of the day.

Look at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...04/index.shtml for
full details, and http://www.jackdaw.u-net.com/ukfaq/trcard.html where
I've put together some simple questions and answers on travelcards

Martin