Old September 12th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default LU Closures Beyond a Joke

On Sep 12, 1:41*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 04:58:45 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
I was thinking of heading for Whitechapel today (from south east).
This is pretty much impossible except by convoluted bus journeys
through traffic.

ELL closed (of course)
DLR suspended
District/Circle suspended
Hammersmith suspended

Plus other huge chunks elsewhere, like the whole Victoria, half the
Jubilee, most of the Metropolitan.

I am just bewildered by it all. *Shouldn't we expect something a bit
better than this?

In short - yes. While I know the work has to be done I am fed up to the
back teeth with it all. I loathe rail replacement services. This is now
the 7th weekend out of 8 consecutive weekends when there has been no
Victoria Line service at my end of the line. God knows what it is like
for the poor souls who rely on the Jubilee Line.

Personally I think the biggest problem for many areas is the lack of
coordination between National Rail and LU as to when closures take
place. There have been occasions this year when both the Bakerloo / DC
lines and the Met line have been closed at the same time and these two
route run fairly close most of the way out of London. The same applies
to the Victoria where on occasion the closures have coincided with the
Liverpool Street - Seven Sisters / Tottenham Hale / Walthamstow being
closed.

I suppose we are now paying the penalty for the lack of renewal work
done in past years and playing catch up is going to be painful until
it is finished. I do wonder if some summertime big-bang projects might
be worthwhile, in a similar vein to the Jubilee lengthening closure
between Christmas and New Year, but instead over the week before the
August Bank Holiday, when I understand the Underground is at its
quietest.