Old September 13th 09, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default London - Looks Like Fares Going Up

Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 13, 4:18 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:36:05 -0400, redcat
wrote:

Srsly, have fares ever gone down?

London bus fares have, haven't they?

Yes. Oyster PAYG fares were £1 at the beginning of 2007, but then
dropped to 90p that September IIRC. To be blunt, this was a fairly
transparent electioneering gambit from Ken given the upcoming
elections in May 2008. The fare went back up to £1 in January 2009.

Given inflation over the intervening period, the fact that they're £1
now and were £1 from early 2000 in central London is a cut, too.

External to central London they were 70p in 2000, so that I suspect has
gone up even allowing for inflation.

What is, unfortunately, true is that anyone comparing London with, say,
Birmingham is going to conclude that bus fares in London are too low
(mind you, rail fares in Birmingham are lower, the last trip I made
across the West Midlands was £1.50 from Moseley to New Street by bus and
£1.50 from New Street to Wolverhampton by train).

Tom