Old September 17th 09, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Andy Andy is offline

Default Overground

On 17 Sep, 13:49, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sep 17, 1:20*pm, Sim wrote:

They prefer S-
Bahn and U-Bahn, we prefer Overground and Underground. Both are clear
enough for me.

And there are odd examples. *In Hamburg, there is a large section of S-
Bahn that is underground, and a large section of U-Bahn that is
elevated (hence Hamburger Hochbahn AG - the overhead railway!).

To my way of thinking the S-bahns generally serve areas further out
than the U-bahns. Much of the S-bahn track is now exclusively for S-
bahn trains and the services are no longer directly run by DB (if
thinking about Germany), but put out to tender by the local transport
authority. Both the Met and District, as well as LO have a lot more in
common with various S-bahn networks than with the corresponding U-
bahn.