Old September 18th 09, 11:48 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Overground

"DW downunder" reply@newsgroup wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Willms" wrote in message

Am Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:00:32 UTC, schrieb 1506
auf uk.railway :

This is something I have wondered for some time. The Overground
name is contrived. The East London Line is a former Underground
line anyway.

It is marketing, and probably a good move.

This could create a brand for urban and suburban railways similar
to "S-Bahn" in Germany and German speaking countries, distinct from
"U-Bahn" resp. "Underground".

Yes, I think the London 'Overground' needs a new brand that doesn't
get confused with other overground trains. The obvious one would be
'Metro' but that risks confusion with the Metropolitan line.

Wasn't that the purpose of "London Rail"?

But it's certainly not branded that way, and it would be pretty
confusing if that name was used. What struck me was that the loop will
soon be complete, so you could have names like "London Ringrail".