Old September 20th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground

In article
,
(Andy) wrote:

On Sep 20, 2:10*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

One small question - does newer dual voltage stock (since the 313s)
have the capability to switch between third rail and overhead on the
fly between North Pole and Shepherd's Bush? The 313s were designed
only to switch in stations (Drayton Park actually) but no-one
envisaged a changeover point between stations in the 1970s.

The Electrostars can change over on the move, but normally don't. I've
never been on a unit that's done it myself, but know of people who
have. On the West London Line at North Pole Junction, there's little
difference in the time spent stationary between a 313 and a 377,
although the PIS system on a 377 is sometimes still rebooting after
Shepherd's Bush when heading south.

Class 313s can actually change over on the move, very occasionally a
313 will leave Euston on AC and won't stop until arriving at South
Hampstead on DC, I've managed this maneuver at least once during the
rebuild of the Euston station throat.

Hmm. Was that one of the the mods for NLL/Silverlink Metro use? I know
they changed the controls so they can run on DC in parallel as well as in
series.

--
Colin Rosenstiel