Old September 24th 09, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
E27002 E27002 is offline

Default Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 24, 2:37*am, Tom Barry wrote:

I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce' here, although the
blasted word 'iconic' is overused, as ever. *Euston works very well as a
station if you're coming from the underground (but rather less well if
you're on foot or bus) and is an excellent railway station. *Far from
being a deliberate snub to the past, is in many ways a 1960s reworking
of what the LSWR did at Waterloo 40 years earlier, for much the same reason.

Waterloo has been a great station. The next "rebuild" gives some
cause for concern. I doubt it will be sympathetic.

The original position of the Arch was somewhere towards the platform
side of the current hall, if memory serves (not that I remember the old
Euston).

The arch needed to be moved.

As for 'concrete commies', the demolition of the Arch was authorised by
Harold Macmillan. *That statement alone betrays that this is a
political, not an architectural or usability matter.

IMHO Macmillan is NOT a hero. His government failed on a number of
fronts. Not, least public disdain resulting from arrogance, and moral
lapses, gave Britain the Harold Wilson years.