Old September 24th 09, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 24, 5:57*pm, E27002 wrote:
On Sep 23, 5:40*pm, Miles Bader wrote:

Bruce writes:
Thanks. *I agree. *That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

Unfortunately, the replica "Arch" would be a concrete structure.

Hmm? *It sounds like they're using a lot of the original stone (which
was recovered from a riverbed)...

Anyway, the problem is not concrete. *Concrete is a fantastic building
material, with an ancient provenance (first used extensively by the
romans!). *There are obviously many many excellent buildings made of
concrete.

The problem was clueless and dogmatic '60s worship of modernity
("newer _must_ be better, there is no exception!") being used to justify
bad architecture and planning, and the mindless destruction of anything
not fitting the fad of the moment.

Thank you. *I agree. *It is not, primarily, about the material.
Concrete can be used most effectively. *My issue is with the mentality
that gave us Westway, Euston Station, and Centre Point. *For what type
of humans where these structure built.

Westway: humans in cars.
Euston: humans leaving trains and entering other trains or buses.
Centrepoint: humans working in offices.

Now, the utterly ****ty streetscape around TCR/Centrepoint, which
Crossrail is thankfully going to improve beyond recognition, is indeed
unforgivable and another story.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org