Old September 26th 09, 07:27 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson[_2_] Peter Masson[_2_] is offline

Default Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

"Martin Rich" wrote

The concourse at Euston does work well, and I've read several accounts of
the old Euston station being cramped and poky behind the arch. But some
aspects of the present station are very dated. In particular the taxi
rank is at the bottom of a steep staircase, reflecting an approach of
separating pedestrians and road vehicles on different levels, which was
fashionable in the 1960s. Presumably disabled passengers weren't given
much thought at the time, and if you had heavy luggage or a push-chair the
assumption was that a porter would help you.

Disabled passengers who arrive (or depart) by taxi can book Passenger
Assistance and be met by the buggy. They are then taken by a weird and
wonderful route through the bowels of the station and delivered to their
train [1], which they can board before the platform is announced on the main
departure indicator on the concourse. In the reverse direction there seems
to be an understanding that the buggy takes passengers to the taxi drop-off
point, where they are put into a cab, jumping the taxi queue.

[1] Last time my father and I used this we shared the buggy with another
passenger, so were taken to platform 18 first, then back through
subterranean Euston to platform 3 for my father's train.

Peter