Old December 29th 03, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Oyster Annual and Extension Tickets - a problem?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:53:05 -0000, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

However the technology is clever enough to ensure you only get
charged once from your pre-pay part of your card for a trip via Zone 1.

But are the programmers clever enough to implement it properly?

actually I think they are. I remember the huge debates we had about how
things would work and the clever questions and scenarios that were put
forward to ensure that we'd covered every eventuality. Oh and I met the
person doing the testing the other morning and he said the Kings Cross
situation worked OK :-)

I know there is a huge amount of cynicism about pre-pay and the non
appearance of some functionality at this time. The point people seem to
forget is that the fare system is very complex because it has developed
over a long period of time. To suggest a complete overhaul in one go (as
some have done) would be madness as you risk creating chaos and mass
confusion. You are also likely to disadvantage people and they will be
upset by that. Finally some aspects of the system are "fixed" in that
they are enshrined in LUL / TOC agreements that are not easy to change.

While I do understand why people are disappointed I would much prefer a
situation whereby the system is implemented incrementally in a way the
travelling public and staff can follow. There is nothing worse than
making a change that involves people's money and finding it doesn't
quite work - as an organisation you will be vilified in the press and
face a barrage of (legitimate) complaints. LUL hardly needs any more
public vilification now does it?
--
Paul C