Old September 29th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 08:22:38PM -0700, E27002 wrote:

IMHO, Centre Point is out of place. It lacks sympathy with its
surroundings. Although the main issue, as you say, is its base. It
belongs next to a Freeway exit, not a subway station.

The surroundings would still be a mixture of ugly and boring even if
Centre Point didn't exist. The Astoria and the shops north of it up to
the junction have been tatty rubbish for as long as I can remember, just
as the first few shops south of Centre Point on the opposite side of
Charing Cross Road are. On t'other side of the junction, there's still
nothing interesting, and a supremely ugly front to the Dominion theatre,
made even worse by the hideous statue advertising We Will Rock You.

Centre Point is the one interesting building in the immediate area.

(no, I don't think that St Giles church is particularly interesting,
although from one particular angle its spire and Centre Point look very
pretty next to each other)

Sure, there are plenty of other examples. The discussion was about
the merits of rebuilding the Euston "Arch", albeit in concrete. I
think that would be a good thing. It was destroyed by people with the
same mentality that gave the UK so much, IMHO, bad architecture.

Who destroyed it has no bearing on whether it should be rebuilt. You
might as well say that "because a nasty man destroyed the slums of
[insert city here] we should rebuild the slums". The Euston arch should
be approached in the same way as any other new building and built, or
not built, on its merits as a building.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

The voices said it's a good day to clean my weapons