Old September 30th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David A Stocks[_3_] David A Stocks[_3_] is offline

Default Can I buy a ticket from a LU station (Leyton) through to Gatwick airport?

"asdf" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:46:34 +0100, wrote:

I'm flying out of Gatwick tonight at 6pm, and am wary that if I turn
up at London Bridge this evening at about 4pm, I might find that
there's a queue a mile long at London Bridge ticket office - can I
buy
a ticket from my originating tube station that will take me all the
way through? Or am I stuck with having to queue up at London Bridge?

Are there any alternatives?

Lots.

You can buy rail tickets from many travel agents
or from most NR stations.
or over the internet for collection from a ticket machine at London
Bridge.

In these circumstance I usually bought in the morning or the night
before.

It's probably a bit late, but he could just buy from his tube station,
could he not?

IIRC, at an LU station you can buy Southern-only, FCC-only, and
Gatwick-Express-only tickets to Gatwick, but not the multi-operator
one (FCC+Southern).

The multi-operator ticket ought to be London Terminals 'any permitted', but
I don't think you can buy this to Gatwick (so buy it to Three Bridges
instead).

So you have to choose an operator in advance, and
stick to it (and if it's a return journey you have to return by the
same operator).

You can combine a travelcard with a boundary zone ticket (with a choice of
routing options that include 'any permitted'). This should even work with a
day travelcard without the requirement for the train to call at a boundary
zone station (e.g. Gatwock Express) because boundary zone tix are considered
to be zonal tix.

D A Stocks