Old October 8th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default First train tested on East London Line

"Recliner" wrote in message
wrote in message

Just out of interest - is this line going to be dedicated to ELL
services only or has the infrastructure been set up so it can be used
as a short cut by freight trains and maybe a diversionary route for
other services?

Would tight clearance in the Thames Tunnel be a limiting factor? Other
than that, I can't see what would stop other trains using the line.

I don't think there are any significant gauging issues there - I suspect the
only practical thing keeping diverted passenger services off the route would
be lack of capacity - it is intended to run the 16 tph 7/7. But in dire
emergency you wouldn't think there'd be a problem getting at least any other
DC Electrostar variant through.

Having said that would there ever be a practical requirement - the only
thing I can think of might be ECS moves to recover stock after an emergency
Thameslink closure (or vice versa) but they can use the WLL?

Someone will now say it can't be done because the core ELL isn't part of the
'national network', but IMHO that is purely an administrative obstacle.

Can't see Freight though, although it would be gauge (and gradient)
dependent too, only 92s would really be suitable traction, and they don't
seem to have route cleared them in south London at all yet...

Paul S