Old October 11th 09, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
MC MC is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message .com, at
15:32:59 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, MC remarked:
I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Originating where? Heathrow perhaps. BA have pretty much abandoned
regional airports. If BA are flying those routes for the same-ish price as
a low-cost booked the same amount in advance, then it's good news for
people who can get to Heathrow.

Gatwick. Admittedly some "out of the way" airports are poorly served and
you do not get much of a choice. I am quite lucky in that I have good
public transport to my nearest Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted. Although I
still have to allow 2 hrs travel time.

But note that BA will now be charging for seat assignments, and reportedly
have scrapped food on short-haul. So becoming more like a budget airline.

At least you get a seat assignment. Some budget airlines make you run for it
in the hope of a decent seat and the older I get this is not an ideal
solution for me ). Besides, BA will only charge for early seat (prior to
24 hours) assignment. After this time it is free and you can go online,
check in and choose your seat or wait and get it assigned at the airport.
Food on short haul has always been a little unnecessary, unless it was
breakfast (which I believe they will still offer). BA will still offer
beverages and a beer or two as well.

And I know that classic carriers can't compete on price with the budget
airlines in "many cases" (rather than a few), nor is £20 "much cheaper".

It is when the flight was around £70. "EZY (U2)" ) was around £90

MC