Old December 30th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default DMU's on Unusual Lines

On 29 Dec 2003 04:30:08 -0800, (Chippy) wrote:

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

After the Central Line took over the former LNER line from
Leytonstone to Ongar, there were a couple of steam and later DMU
workings from Liverpool Street (BR) to Loughton in the early
mornings until at least the early sixties. As a sad and anoraky
teenager, I rode on them a couple of times.

And, of course, the Ongar branch was steam operated until 1957,
although I don't know whether the trains concerned operated in
public service to and from the branch.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com