Old October 12th 09, 04:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
Miles Bader Miles Bader is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

Bruce writes:
I disagree with your damning the whole Korean nation on the basis of
simplistic and highly unreliable racial stereotyping, yes.

I'm not "damning the whole Korean nation", and I'm not making any
statements based on "race" ("Korean" is not a race; in the context of
this thread, it's a culture).

I _did_ try to make a joke (whether or not the humor was any good of
course, is a separate matter), which attempted to amplify a real-life
incident (involving, yes, Korean airline employees) using a cultural
stereotype.

It isn't a particularly negative stereotype of course (I chose the word
"feisty" on purpose, because it has generally positive connotation), and
like many other stereotypes, has some basis in fact.

Here's a test: Go ask a Korean person. It's very likely they'll either
(1) laugh and say "yeah, yeah, ok, it's true", or (2) punch you in the face.
Either way, point made.

[I _actually did this_, just now, and she did (1).]

-Miles

--
Quotation, n. The act of repeating erroneously the words of another. The words
erroneously repeated.