Old October 12th 09, 11:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 09:53:37 on
Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Recliner remarked:
BmiBaby fly that route, but only at weekends, and at entirely the
wrong times of day. So I'll be "forced" to use Luton again, I
suppose.

I wonder how long bmibaby will remain in existence?

They are currently adding planes and routes at East Midlands.

I assume Lufthansa will sell it off, give it away or shut it down at
the earliest possible opportunity.

They've owned it (80% rather than just 30%) for a year now, so FSVO
"early". But there are rumours it might be sold to FlyBE.

No, it's not owned it for a year. Lufthansa took full control just days
ago, and only acquired majority control as recently as July, after
settling the court case with Bishop. Consequently, I think it's safe to
say that bmi is still running under its old business plan. For example,
Wolfgang Prock-Schauer, the new Lufthansa-appointed bmi CEO will not
assume the role until 1 December.

Clearly, Lufthansa would like to sell most or all of bmi, probably in
multiple pieces, and bmibaby is probably the least valuable part. If
no-one wants to pay anything for the heavily loss-making bmibaby,
Lufthansa may just shut it down. After all, Flybe could open any of
bmibaby's routes that it fancies without paying for the privilege, and
it operates a different fleet to bmibaby. It's not as if bmibaby owns
any valuable slots.