Old December 30th 03, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Depresion Depresion is offline

Default we'll all drown!!

"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

Maybe the price of second hand cars is rediculously low. After 3 years a car
is worth 1/3 of its value? That is crazy. Is it 1/3 of the car?

No that's just the way the market works, care to guess what fraction a 3 year
old PC is worth of it's original purchase price. I'll give you a clue well under
a third.

Maybe if there weren't so many Mondeo's piling onto the market people would
be driving around in more Supermini's and City cars which are never used as
company cars.

Smaller cars are becoming more popular as company cars due to the tax changes,
Focuses (or is that Foci?) Civics, Golfs even the new Polo and Mini are getting
a look in for company cars.

And, btw as for the environment, manufacturers always claim how "clean"
their cars are, but an unbeleivable amount of environmental damage occurs
during the manufacture *and disposal* of a car which seems to be frequently
ignored.

That's why there are tough legislation on the pollutants released during
manufacture and the forth coming regulations on recycling the cars by the
manufacturer.

But it appears in our consumer society where everyone is going nuts with
"buy, buy, buy," it is the fashion to have a new car every couple of years.
Just as with everything else, we buy, we throw away, we buy we throw away.
The cycle will only come to an end when we abruptly run out of resources.

You've not seen my drive then with an average age of around 24 years I hardly
"throw away" cars one of your favoured sayings I notice.