Old December 30th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DMU's on Unusual Lines

In article , (Bill
Hayles) wrote:

On 29 Dec 2003 04:30:08 -0800,
(Chippy) wrote:

I've vague recollections from the 1970s of BR DMUs providing an
emergency service at the eastern end of the Central line, but I can't
remember any details.

After the Central Line took over the former LNER line from
Leytonstone to Ongar, there were a couple of steam and later DMU
workings from Liverpool Street (BR) to Loughton in the early
mornings until at least the early sixties. As a sad and anoraky
teenager, I rode on them a couple of times.

And, of course, the Ongar branch was steam operated until 1957,
although I don't know whether the trains concerned operated in
public service to and from the branch.

There were Epping to and from Liverpool St (BR) trains early on Sunday
mornings (only) in 1957/8 according to my Underground guide of that date.
Nothing in 1972.

--
Colin Rosenstiel