Old October 13th 09, 07:38 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Heads up - Panorama tonight, BBC1 8.30pm

In message
, at
15:55:42 on Mon, 12 Oct 2009, MIG
remarked:
...there was nothing new or interesting in the programme

It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who had
made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!

I think they said that UK banks don't issue them (whatever they are).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Electron m'lud

Nevertheless, a very soft-hitting documentary. The only thing that
really came through at all was the extent to which they see
vulnerability in others as of benefit to them, eg small airports,
aircraft manufacturers and .

It said they drove a hard bargain with their suppliers. Customers
fretting about this is what's know in the trade as "looking in other
people's pockets". Large numbers of businesses are just as hard-nosed,
and in some respects even worse. I bet Ryanair don't also expect Boeing
to give them an extra discount if all the seats on the plane aren't
filled, but I know of businesses who have models that would be analogous
to that!

Interestingly, they didn't allege that Ryanair is slow to pay its bills
(another common characteristic of hard-nosed business). Perhaps that,
and the ability to "sell and forget" is why Boeing (and others) are
happy to do business with them.

... inevitably, cash-strapped families

What are you referring to here? The only "vulnerability" that came up
was the charge for re-printing boarding cards. I agree it's a bit high,
but along with all their other charges, aren't the slightest bit
"hidden". Unlike, for example, the delivery charge I got lumbered with
from Currys last week, which amounted to paying £15 to have them
discharge their WEEE responsibilities (taking away the old TV).