Old October 13th 09, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message , at 21:19:24 on
Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Paul Corfield remarked:

If I want to experience bus travel then I'll use a bus thanks very much!

Or quite a lot of trains. Indeed, Ryanair's planes are mainly pretty
new, and not bad to travel on at all.

Well yes but I would not call a decent Inter City train a bus.

Ah the "Jimmy Saville Age of the Train" canard. Everyone seated alone at
a table-for-four on an HST.

Eurostar does not resemble a bus.

And most trains don't resemble Eurostar.

I travel on buses all the time and they're fine for their job

So do I - and they get a bad image. Having spent a week in Geneva, you'd
be surprised at the number of oytsiders prepared to pay £20 for a taxi
ride that was slower than a very acceptable [free] bus. Although some of
that is probably the worry of having to understand announcements
exclusively in French abut where to get off

And despite their widespread reputation for efficiency my 5.30am bus to
the airport was ten minutes late (and the roads deserted of course, so
no excuse there).

as are plenty of trains and plenty of airlines. Even jammed full Class
378s are not buses - they're high capacity trains doing their job.

You might not get many people on (eg) rammed unrefurbished 158s agreeing
with that point of view. Trains can be very good, but also very bad.

I don't feel I have lost out by not travelling by Ryanair. I would hope
Mr O'Leary's planes are pretty new given the huge rate of expansion that
he has managed with his airline

I'm sure it's part of his business plan to buy new planes to give easy
and consistent maintenance and operations. As opposed to BMIbaby who
have a rag-bag collection of surprisingly old planes.

Even if I was to discount half of the negative comments and reports I
have read about Ryanair I would still not travel with them.

Which is the same reason most people won't travel by train.