Old October 13th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com
wrote

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
, Bill Borland wrote:

black-and-white
chequered band round the cuff, and merely removing *that* meant
that

That was abolished no later than about 1965.

As I understand it, a police constable is never "off duty" -

Not so. There were some hilarious cases where police were refused
service in off-licenses and supermarkets due to a Victorian statute
that referred to constables on duty frequenting licensed premises.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3357707.stm

A hungry policeman was banned by shop staff from buying a sausage roll
- under a law forbidding sale of refreshments for officers on duty. ==

In the past, removing the armband worked. More recently a radio
conversation with a superior officer to get a order placing them
off-duty but a chief constable was snookered because she had no
superior officer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/3569725.stm

checkout staff at Tesco in Northallerton relented when Ms Cannings took
off her hat and epaulettes and said she was no longer on duty.

although they may not be getting *paid* for their services, they
*always* carry their Warrant when in public. Unless it puts them
at personal risk of harm, they are *required* to intervene in any
situation that needs the presence of police,. I have been told
that the Warrant constitutes "uniform" - so, for example, a
constable ordering you to stop your motor vehicle can do so
simply by holding his Warrant in your view. Indeed, I've seen it
done.

May work but have you a legal cite that it is legally binding ?

--
Mike D