Old October 13th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message , at 19:46:37 on
Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Paul Corfield remarked:
Eurostar does not resemble a bus.

And most trains don't resemble Eurostar.

Yes - it was an example. There are many trains that do not resemble a
bus or even a coach. The ambience is completely different.

Yes, the average EMT ex-Central boneshakers are even worse then a bus.

I travel on buses all the time and they're fine for their job

So do I - and they get a bad image. Having spent a week in Geneva, you'd
be surprised at the number of oytsiders prepared to pay £20 for a taxi
ride that was slower than a very acceptable [free] bus. Although some of
that is probably the worry of having to understand announcements
exclusively in French abut where to get off

And what nationality would those outsiders be? American per chance?

Mainly Europeans - and an American from Washington DC area was "with me"
trying to persuade people the bus wasn't as bad as they thought it might
be.

I appreciate I am indulging a slight stereotype here but it takes little
effort to research public transport options and to use them when you
arrive in a foreign city.

That's very true. While I'm happy with the Metro/Bus in many cities, I
haven't yet come to grips with the buses in Lisbon, for example.