Old October 15th 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Fares go up

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 03:04:09 -0700 (PDT), martin wrote:

Full details from TfL at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ote_151009.pdf

In a nutshell:

- 20% increase in all bus-only fares and tickets
- No increase in price of Travelcard seasons [1]
- PAYG Tube singles ratcheted up by the usual 20p or so [2]
- PAYG Tube caps no longer have a 50p "discount" over the paper ODTC
(i.e. they've gone up by at least 50p - though the new ODTC prices are
not given).

[1] Except the 2-zones-excluding-z1 Travelcard season, whose price
increases to maintain its differential over the Bus Pass season.
[2] Except the z1-4 and z1-6 fares, which see a bigger increase to
firmly reinstate the differentials between them and the z1-3 and z1-5
fares respectively.

I wonder how much those bus fares would have gone up if Boris hadn't
been busy replacing all the bendy buses and inventing a new
Routemaster?

Cynically, I'd say it's mostly irrelevant, as the revenue is not
hypothecated between transport modes. Rather, Boris is sticking firmly
to his Tory principles: of the fares he controls, the middle classes
are most likely to own Travelcard seasons and least likely to use
buses.