Old October 15th 09, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rail
David E Newton[_2_] David E Newton[_2_] is offline

Default Cheapest rail + tube season ticket option question

Hello all,

We're about to move back into London from Hertfordshire and my gf will
need to commute from Walthamstow to Ware. This would be going on the
tube from Walthamstow to Tottenham Hale and then on the National Express
Hertford East line to Ware.

However, trying to figure out the prices is coming up with some right
anomalies, so we're trying to figure out a way which is (a) cheaper than
other ways, (b) legal and (c) practical (e.g. no jumping off trains to
touch on a reader and then jumping back on the train)

OPTION 1

PAYG Oyster from Walthamstow to Tottenham Hale = £44/month
Monthly Season from Tottenham Hale to Ware = £199.70/month
TOTAL = £243.70

OPTION 2

Zone 3-5 Travelcard = £82.80/month
Monthly Season from Brimsdown to Ware = £146/month
TOTAL = £248.80

Brimsdown being the last stop before Z5 boundary but this would only
work if one could get a paper Travelcard or else you'd have to jump off
and on. This is more expensive and we're not looking at this option but
just compare it to Option 3 below.

OPTION 3

Zone 3-5 Travelcard = £82.80/month
Monthly Season from Brimsdown to Hertford East = £94.80/month
TOTAL = £177.10

Again, there's the Brimsdown problem but look at the crazy price on the
season ticket. If you buy a season all the way to Hertford East but
always alight at Ware, one stop earlier, the season is £60 cheaper. From
what I can understand, you're allowed to do this, which is why buying a
season to Hertford instead of Ware is something we're considering.

So, does anyone have any idea what the most sensible thing to do for
this journey is please?

Thanks in advance,

Dave