Old October 16th 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default "Sling him under a train"

MIG wrote:
On 16 Oct, 12:41, John B wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:52 am, MIG wrote:

I can't watch it yet, but award for "most gratuitous abuse of RMT yet"
would seem to be in order.
Unions do not support abusive behaviour. It might be their job to
ensure that a member got a fair hearing, but if the member was, for
example, racist, they might not even do that, and would probably expel
him/her.

Well, apart from the times, frequently documented on uk.r, where the
RMT has issued press statements in favour of staff members who've been
dismissed or disciplined for assaulting members of the public. And the
time *last month* where they went on strike to support one.

It's their job to represent someone sacked without a proper hearing,
not to condone what they are accused of (whether they did it or not).

I thought it was the staff member who was assaulted in that case.

In once recent case that appeared to be what they wanted the public to
think, but no details were made available to us. Did we ever hear the
outcome?

I don't know what union they might be, if any, but some DLR staff feel
able tell passengers that they can have passengers "done" simply by
making fictitious allegations of assault to the police, only to back
down when the customer mentions "CCTV"...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK