Old October 16th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Dickinson Matthew Dickinson is offline

Default Why touch in at interchanges?

On 16 Oct, 21:13, asdf wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:54:08 +0100, Paul Scott wrote:
A friend of mine uses pay-as-you-go Oyster and regularly takes the
Overground from Kentish Town to Stratford, and then continues by
Underground from Stratford to Gants Hill. *She claims that, while making
the intercharge, she has to touch in at a red Oyster card reader in
Stratford or else she gets overcharged for her journey. *Is this true?

Yes, but only since last month. Previously certain journeys were deemed to
always be via zone 1, although it was possible to take a route without using
zone 1, using the NLL for example *So they've listened to the criticism and
fixed it, by adding interchange validators, which allow pax to prove they
used the cheaper route.

But there's no sensible route from Kentish Town West to Gants Hill via
zone 1.

If I travel from South Harrow to West Harrow, I don't expect to have
to touch the interchange validator at Rayners Lane to avoid being
charged via Z1. In fact it wouldn't even occur to me to do so.

Looking at the single fare finder, it seems that the default route for
stations west of Dalston Kingsland is changing at Highbury &
Islington, Kings Cross and Bank.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...inder/current/