Old October 20th 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Greenford

In message of Tue, 20 Oct 2009
00:38:26 in uk.transport.london, David of Broadway
writes
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:23:13 +0100, Recliner wrote:

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I visited this outer London station on Tuesday - before Boris's fares
and improvement budget announcement on Thursday.

I was surprised to see a wood-slatted up escalator. I would have
thought all these have gone since the King's Cross fire.

It's because it's an open air station, not underground. Very unusually
for an "Underground" station, the escalator takes you up to viaduct
level, and the platforms are in the open air, so there's no real fire
risk.

Are there plans for the Greenford escalator to be removed or modernized
any time soon? (I hope it waits at least until my next visit to London.)

I 'phoned LU Customer Services on 0845 330 9880 and took option 3 to
speak to an agent, who turned out to be Niall. He checked with the
Station Manager and reported there are no plans to replace it.
I don't know if +44 845 330 9880 would work for you. 844 is a peculiar
area code within the UK numbering plan and may not be internationally
accessible.

I believe I was wrong in inferring that hoarding hides a second
escalator at Greenford. I also believe that an MIP facility is to be
provided. (Today, I noticed MIP Lift 3 at King's Cross and infer this
TLA stands for Mobility Impaired Person.)

http://directenquiries.com/stationdi...+Detail&Title=
Ticket+Hall+to+Central+Westbound+(Platform+1)&fid= 0135-0028016&did=0135-
0012594%2b0135-0028008_H2P&level=3 shows two staircases and an up
escalator. It seems the outer stairs are being replaced with than MIP
facility.
--
Walter Briscoe