Old October 25th 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default West London Line - what recession?

On 25 Oct, 14:35, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:08:47 -0000, "Chris Read"

wrote:
Willesden - Clapham was a 313, being the 'new trains' we are expecting
shortly in Brighton. 3-NOL? Having started pretty well loaded, we were
overwhelmed by the Westfield crowd at Shepherds Bush. Predominantly
well-heeled looking young couples, returning with lots of boutique-style
bags to Battersea, Wandsworth and the nicer bits of Surrey, I imagine. Not
sure what to make of this, really. On the one hand, it's clear Westfield
must have a significant public transport penetration.

You could argue that the planning requirements are therefore working.
There were substantial investment obligations placed on Westfield and
these are helping to bring people to the area without using their cars.
I don't know how bad the road traffic is in the area but I have not read
any "nightmare" headlines other than not very long after Westfield
opened when I think the West Cross route got jammed up. *This often
happens as people go for the first "look see" visit.

I still wonder if the effect of Westfield is overestimated and the
effect of the interchange to the Central Line is underestimated. When
I've been there, it's only ever been for the latter, and it makes the
WLL hugely more useful as part of a transport network.