Old October 26th 09, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default West London Line - what recession?

Paul Corfield wrote:

If you want to see the horror effect of IKEA on public transport try to
get on the 192 bus from Tottenham Hale. It can only use little midibuses
and must rank as one of the most overcrowded routes I know. If only
Angel Road Station was to the south of the North Circular road and
actually had trains stop at it - it would provide very easy access to
IKEA and the huge Tescos at Edmonton. I suspect similar IKEA horrors are
inflicted on Tramlink in south London.

Many moons ago, the entrance to Angel Road *was* on the south side of
the viaduct, and even had a Ticket Office, and it had a half hourly
service between Liverpool Street and Hertford East.

Then they widened the North Circular Road (which, to be fair, was
needed), relocated the entrance to the arse end of nowhere (well beyond
the country end of the platforms) and reduced the service to one train
per hour.

And now it's even worse, with the station being served by just a handful
of trains a day to and from Stratford at peak times.

And they call that progress...I expect the official excuse is that there
isn't enough capacity for a half hourly stopping service plus the outer
suburban services as it's a two track railway.

Cheers,

Barry