Old October 26th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
asdf asdf is offline

Default West London Line - what recession?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:30:24 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

If you want to see the horror effect of IKEA on public transport try to
get on the 192 bus from Tottenham Hale. It can only use little midibuses
and must rank as one of the most overcrowded routes I know.

Perhaps TfL might, in that case, consider recasting the routes around
that area rather than whining about it? While I'm more in favour of
TfL style regulation than a free-for-all, I can't see Stagecoach
showing that kind of "can't be bothered" attitude in the provinces.

Where did I say TfL was whining? I made a comment about the reality of
overcrowding. I don't believe I have yet absorbed the corporate
consciousness of the whole of TfL nor do I consider that I was whining.
Believe me I can whine with the best of them and you'd know it if I was.
Thankfully I don't have to use the 192 very often but that's no respite
for those who do.

The 192 was only re-tendered about a year ago and there was no frequency
enhancement so I assume it is considered adequate.

If you listen to the last 30 mins or so of the webcast of the GLA
Transport Committee meeting last week you will see Mr Hendy very
carefully explain that there is no money for bus service expansion and
that cuts at the margin of many routes are due over the next few years.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but surely if the route is overflowing
with passengers then there is no need for any subsidy?

Or are London bus fares really so low that even a fully-loaded bus
does not cover its own running costs?